Performance from The Heart
- In life, we admire “heart.” When we say, someone has heart we mean passion, spirit, fortitude. And we applaud it. While the amplifier is the brawn behind every successful music and movie presentation, it is also the heart! Its role is as crucial as that of the speakers in its ability to render delicate musical detail one moment and deliver room-shaking explosions the next. The most exquisite piece of music falls flat without clean, quiet power to sustain it through to its natural, musical ebb. Movie special effects require an inordinate supply of stable, high current power to give visceral credibility to the “special” aspect of each effect! In fact, all truly successful sound reproduction requires “heart.” The heart of an amplifier rests with its design and it is here that P2 and P5 amplifiers reveal their high-end lineage: multi-layered, hand-designed circuit boards with thick copper traces; rugged, independent power supplies with tuned toroidal power transformers for each amplifier channel; fourteen rugged bipolar output devices per channel; custom-designed convection-cooled heatsinks with serrated fins; a “no-fuse” design strategy. And the list goes on.
Edge-Of-The-Art Multi-Mono Design
- By design, P2 and P5 amplifiers are powerful independent “Monoblock” amplifiers. Each channel is self-contained on its own glass-epoxy circuit board and heatsink and benefits from an independent power supply. Since there is no common audio path between channels there is a complete absence of crosstalk.
- Frequency-response channel matching is superb. The musical picture is seamless and exquisitely detailed with a multichannel soundstage that is astonishingly transparent, cohesive and three dimensional.
Cascoded Complementary Feedback Input Stage
- P2 and P5 amplifiers benefit from our proprietary input topology—a unique departure from the classical differential input stage. Eight low-noise bipolar input devices, hand-matched for superior balance, are configured in a complementary active-load cascoded feedback arrangement. Heat shrink tubing applied around each critical input pair ensures superior thermal tracking.
- Designed to reduce distortion, this arrangement not only ensures exceptionally linear response, but also superior bandwidth and superb amplifier reliability.
Independent Power Supplies
- P Series amplifiers are the cleanest, quietest amplifiers in the industry. Each amplifier channel features two separate and autonomous power supplies fed from separate transformer windings. The amplifiers are thus able to deliver stable, continuous power at maximum output, regardless of the number of channels being driven.
- While some amplifiers tend to oscillate when driving lower impedance loads, the P2 and P5 remain perfectly stable under all conditions. If pushed into clipping, the proprietary anti-saturation tracking power supply circuit takes over to ensure a seamless recovery.
- Since the use of a regulated power supply in the driver stage removes noise emitted by the bridge rectifier (often heard as an audible hum at 120 Hz and its harmonics), the P2 and P5 achieve an utterly silent noise floor.
Massive Toroidal Transformers
- Conservatively rated, in a low-profile design, these low-impedance toroidal power supplies—one per amplifier channel—make no sacrifices when it comes to delivering a continuous supply of pure, clean low noise power.
- They are shaped to minimize hum while a sequence-controlled soft turn on significantly reduces power line transients and in-rush current during start up, thereby preventing accidental tripping of the circuit breakers.
Fourteen Bipolar Output Devices Per Channel
- An amplifier’s ultimate performance is directly related to the number of high-quality, high-current devices used in the output stage. The greater the number of devices employed per channel, the greater the available power to deliver the crescendos in music and the thunder and explosions in movies. And the greater the amount of current that can be held in reserve.
- While some manufacturers cut corners to save costs in this area, our designers incorporated fourteen bipolar output devices per channel. This results in tremendous current held in reserve.
Hand-Designed Circuit Boards
- Our two-layer military-spec (FR-4-rated) glass-epoxy circuit boards feature plated through-holes and 2-ounce copper traces, promoting excellent conductivity.
- Extensive use of power and ground planes ensures exceptionally low noise and increased protection from stray electromagnetic energy— internally as well as externally from other devices.
"No Fuse" Design
- P2 and P5 amplifiers are Direct-Connected to the power supply capacitor bank. This keeps output impedance remarkably low while making more power available to the amplifier. Even when driving lower- or complex impedance loads, the result is audibly superior performance. If an output short circuit does occur, only the AC line breaker will trip—there are no fuses to replace.
- The standby low-power supply is protected by self-resetting Positive Temperature coefficient thermistors (PTCs). Once the condition that tripped the PTC disappears, the circuit restores itself automatically.
Oversize Gold-Plated Binding Posts
- Our custom-designed binding posts are easy to use, ensure full power delivery always and facilitate large speaker cable connectors.
Three Power On/Off Options
- P2 and P5 amplifiers can be powered On/Off three ways:
- Manually, with the On/Off switch on the front panel.
- Remotely, via the 12-volt trigger input on the rear panel.
- Automatically, with our patented Auto-On/Off circuit. Auto-On turns the amplifier on when it senses an input signal and turns off 20 minutes after the input signal ends.
RCA and XLR True-Balanced Inputs
- A three-way switch on the amplifier’s rear panel offers an RCA input, a professional quality XLR balanced input and an attenuated XLR balanced connection (for preamplifiers that require it). Gold-plated female RCA jacks and gold-plated XLR balanced connections provide the highest quality input connections.
Oversize Aluminum Headsinks
- With more than 1125 square inches (7258cm2) of computer modeled heatsink (including large serrated fins) per channel, P2 and P5 amplifiers are superbly equipped to dissipate the heat generated by their high-power levels. This, in turn, eliminates the need for noise-inducing cooling fans. A thermal sensor on each heatsink continuously monitors safe operating temperature.
Designed and Built in North America
- Fine-grain brushed aluminum cover and extruded aluminum handles. Heavy-gauge, low-resonance 12-awg steel chassis and oversize aluminum heatsinks generate serious high-end weight and authority.
- IEC AC female sockets and detachable high-power, high-quality 14-awg AC power cords.
- Can be ordered with rack-mount handles. (See Dealer for more information.)
Channels 2 Impedance 8 ohms Power On Consumption (watts) 1800 Watts Warranty Limited Warranty. See store for full details. Depth 22.5 in. Height 9.38 in. Signal to Noise Ratio 125 dB Width 19.25 in.